Map

Locations of Site Visitors

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Sports 101

OK, so I'm no expert yet....BUT I'm learning. Since I've married Andy I have been privileged to have private lessons (daily) on sports terminology, game rules, team names and logos, player statistics, and the class includes a (nightly) practicum which involves watching games intensely. So far I have to say I've been doing very well. I can name every player on the 2008 Phillies team and what positions they play. I own an Eagles jersey (thanks Zoom), and have been watching the Flyers have an exciting season. I'm not that into basketball....thank goodness neither is Andy.....anyway, I've been living in Canada for eight months now so the lessons are starting to revolve around hockey.

I've always enjoyed the sport of hockey, and have even gone to the occasional game. I want to be a true fan....the problem seems to be that I'm just not fast enough to watch the game. I try as hard as I can to really follow what is happening. Andy is great at sound effects and he is animating each play....but I can't seem to find the puck. Everyone seems to skating fast towards the net and just when I'm focused on the goalie everyone turns and skates away. I see something fly through the air and someone grabs it with their hand throws it down on the ice (that's allowed? who knew?) and it disappears again. I keep my head moving left and right with the crowd...but honestly I'm missing it. Good thing baseball season is only 1 1/2 weeks away.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

So, just want to make sure that Andy's set you straight on who the Red Wings are, especially if you're talking in Calgery. You'll find the puck, it just takes practice. Never say you wish they would highlight it, that will cause a riot.
MWA!