Map

Locations of Site Visitors

Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Pray for our country

I just finished my study for the day on 2 Timothy.  Today my devotional focused on Paul's words to Timothy encouraging him to stand firm in his faith.  How many times do we face shame because of our faith?  How many times do we not pray at a restaurant or not pray before a meal when we are in front of non-believers.  How many times do we bring up the name of Christ in conversation? Or even acknowledge Him in conversations that deserve His mention.  How many times do we laugh at a joke or participate in a conversation that goes against everything that as Christians we are to stand for.  Or how many times do we pray for or with someone or even tell them we will pray for them when they express a hard situation in their life?  I don't feel that I am ashamed of my faith because if someone asks if I am a Christian I'll say yes.  Is this really enough? I don't think so.  Can others tell who I live for without asking me? Do others see in my words, work ethic, actions, and motives something that is different? something that reflects Christ?  I hope so.  We don't face the same persecution that Timothy and Paul were up against, but that doesn't mean we don't give in to pressure all the same.  I am currently watching the Presidential debate that we recorded from last week.  I desperately want to vote for a President who can demonstrate personal conviction and take a stand whether or not it is popular with their party.  Andy and I have started to daily pray for this election; it has both of us a bit nervous.  If we want America to be a country that takes a stand for Christ even morality we need to have it start with us in the daily routine.

1 comment:

Lauren said...

Very good comments, Carla Jeanne! You know, neither Ben or I are "in to" politics, so we simply change the channel when we stumble upon something about the election. I realize that many of you might gasp at that, but it's true. I guess that makes us uneducated voters (if we even vote--gasp again).

Your comments have struck a nerve (in a good way) with me, so I will also commit to praying daily for this election...and for Ben and I to have more of an interest in who runs out country...