Map

Locations of Site Visitors

Friday, September 19, 2008

A whole new world

So when we moved to Canada I knew life would change a bit.  I was newly married and moving somewhere cold.   Other than those two major changes (single to married; hot winters to frozen solid Septembers) I thought everything else would be the same. I was unaware that Canadians have been deprived of what you and I might call ordinary foods we take for granted.  I know that Mexican food will always taste better in Houston than in Rochester just as Rochester will always have every Italian food known to man when Houston doesn't know what Ricotta cheese is.  However I was unaware that anyone in North America wouldn't know what pepperoni is.  Andy is very upset at this.  We also have found that german chocolate cake is discontinued in Calgary, which I might add is all Andy wants for his birthday on Monday.  Finally no one here knows what apple cider is.  It is fall here already and I thought it would be nice to sip on some hot cider and remember my home in NY.  This is not really an option.  I've asked numerous people and they give me a blank stare as if I'm talking a different language.  I have found that the Starbucks here offers a hot cider imitation, but it still isn't the same.  I'm still exploring my new home and enjoying most of my finds, but I'm reminded every now and then that I am far from home.

3 comments:

Lauren said...

Don't you worry, Carla. I'll have some hot apple cider waiting for you when you come to H-town in a few weeks...even if it's hot outside (because you know it's always cold in the Huss' house)!

I'm not sure if I can accommodate the german chocolate cake, as I do not like coconut...but we'll see.

I can't wait to see you guys!!!

Oh--on another note: we have power at our house! We'll be moving back home tonight/tommorrow and rebuilding the fence tomorrow. Yea for restored power!!

the Wonderspools said...

Hey kid! If you can get your hands on some coconut, I can get you a recipe for a broiled frosting that is GREAT...and probably does a decent job of tasting like a German-chocolate cake. :)

The Prescott's said...

I would love any recipes you have!